Friday, January 24, 2014

Another gift from my neighbor

If you read my blog, you might remember that my 90 something year old neighbor is cleaning her house and decided to give me her sewing things as she runs across them. This is great because she's promised me a couple of 100 year old quilts, when she gets around to the cedar chests they are in. But so far, I was given this sewing box a couple of months ago...


Now, she's given me a lot of appliquéd stars that her aunt made before she passed. I love the fabrics and assured her I could do something with them which made her incredibly happy. 


But when I got home and looked at the stitching... I had some second thoughts. They are not very well constructed.



The points are a mess and I just can't take them all apart and redo them, but I'm committed. I've been thinking that I might be able to appliqué a circle or something over the offending part in the center. And since the hand-appliqué class I was supposed to take today was cancelled, I need something to practice on anyway. I thought about sashing them and making her a lap quilt out of these, but she keeps her house at a balmy 85 degrees all winter, so I'm not sure that's the best option. If any of you have suggestions on how to fix the structural issues or, in the bigger picture, what to do with 42 of these 7.5" stars, I would appreciate any feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment